BY KRISTIN BEUSCHER
OF NORTHERN VALLEY PRESS
This article originally appeared in the Jan. 16, 2017 South edition of Northern Valley Press.
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS – This weekend marks 90 years since the date on this real estate flyer, which advertised the auction of 47 properties in Englewood Cliffs on Jan. 22, 1927.
The rendering featured on the flyer does not reflect what the borough actually looked like at the time. Neither the bridge, nor the massive, castle-like building at Sylvan and Palisade avenues existed in 1927. Instead, the rendering reflects a developer’s vision for the future.
By the early 1920s, the small community of Englewood Cliffs, which had fewer than 600 residents, was beginning to look attractive to real estate speculators. This was, in major part, due to the imminent construction of a new Hudson River crossing into Bergen County (the George Washington Bridge), which would make the town highly desirable to commuters. The bridge’s design had been approved in 1923 and construction began in October 1927.
Still, the “New Bridge” did boost development in Englewood Cliffs, even while it was still under construction. By 1930, the borough’s population had jumped to 809. The George Washington Bridge opened in the autumn of 1931.