This article originally appeared in the Feb. 20, 2017 edition of Pascack Press.
WOODCLIFF LAKE – To the right, it’s a scene that has been playing out in the borough since the 1870s as a man exits the train at the Woodcliff Lake station. This photo, from the archives of the Pascack Historical Society, was captured in the winter of 1942. While the trains, cars, fashions and even the station itself have all changed in the 75 ensuing years, the scene is still a familiar one among commuters in 2017.
The station was built at personal expense by Nicholas B. Ackerman, the town’s leading merchant, who also happened to be a director of the Hackensack & New York Extension
At first, the station was just called “Woodcliff.” It didn’t become “Woodcliff Lake” until the early 20th century to reflect the new reservoir that had been created in town.