
RIVER VALE, N.J.—Unexpected construction delays and anticipated change orders might push the long-awaited opening of River Vale’s nearly $15 million Public Safety Complex to late summer or early fall, according to the township administrator.
“It’s taken longer than we anticipated, and we’re working through all of it,” township administrator and chief financial officer Gennaro Rotella told Pascack Press, referring to recent drainage improvements required around the new building.
Residents had reported to Pascack Press that construction appeared to have stalled in recent weeks, but Rotella said new issues have arisen, including a need for improved drainage design.
He estimated the changes could add $50,000 to $100,000 in costs. Rotella said township officials, including the engineer, architect, police chief, and construction management company, meet regularly to discuss progress and concerns. He and others have toured the building, assessing ongoing work and contributing feedback.
“These delays are not to my liking,” Rotella said, noting that unforeseen issues are typical in large-scale construction projects. He said the township is also waiting on Veolia North America and PSE&G to complete water and electric utility work for the new facility.
In late February, Township Engineer Christopher Statile said insulation was being installed, and site cleanup was underway in preparation for parking lot construction. Electrical wiring, drywalling, and spackling were also in progress. Statile noted that jail cell doors still needed to be fabricated—a process with a long lead time.
At the time, Statile projected completion in summer or fall, though he did not offer a specific timeline. In early February, he reported the project was approximately 60% complete. Most utilities had been installed, and sally port garage doors were in place. (A sally port is a secure, controlled entryway that provides restricted access to and from the facility’s jail.)
Statile also reported that siding had been installed on the building exterior, and that concrete walls and ceilings in the jail area had been poured.
At its Feb. 24 meeting, the Township Council approved a $170,373.48 contract for a camera and door access system to enhance security at the new police complex.
As reported in September 2024, the project had generated eight change orders totaling about $72,000—nearly 10% of the $750,000 contingency fund set aside for unanticipated changes. Officials previously stated that the overall project cost would remain unchanged unless the contingency fund was exceeded.
In late November 2023, the Township Council awarded a $14.8 million construction bid to Dobco Inc. of Wayne. The project is backed by nearly $20 million in bonding, approved in two separate bond issues.